For anyone wishing to camp in state park, it’s necessary to make a reservation. I recommend at least 2-3 months in advance. Skating in at the last minute works sometimes, but rarely! (Apologies to my fellow procrastinators.) The more popular the park, the farther in advance you need to register but luckily, the process is easy. I’ll walk you through it here.
- Pick out a park on Texas Parks and Wildlife’s website: http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/
(Psst. Might I suggest Pedernales Falls, Lost Maples, Garner, Bastrop, Big Bend Ranch, Davis Mountains, Balmorhea, and Lake Whitney for starters…)
2. Click on the “Reserve” button.
3. Click again on “Make an On-line Reservation”. (Why is there a dash?)
4. Login or continue as guest.
5. Select your desired park.
6. Select your desired dates. Hit “Search”.
7. Hit “Select” to reserve regular campsites. (Or make a phone call to reserve specialty sites such as group sites for 6 or more.)
8. Enter your desired dates again as well as the type of lodging you’re bringing and the number of people per site you expect. I recommend only four to five adults per site or four adults and two kids. You can reserve multiple campsites or reserve a group site.
9. Select the number and type of campsite you would like. I recommend electric + water, so you can plug in phone chargers, Christmas lights, and a coffee maker. If you’re RV traveling, you’ll need both water and electricity for your camper to function.
10. Enter the name on your reservation.
11. Enter your personal information and debit/credit card number.
12. Check the box indicating you’ll behave yourself and hit “Complete Reservation!”
Finito! Fine! Finale! Hooray, you are done.
Next step: get excited about your upcoming trip! Here are some posts to help you have a great experience outdoors:
- The Secret to a Great Fire
- Lighting Up a Campsite
- Nutella and Strawberry S’mores…YUM!
- Dutch Oven Cinnamon Rolls
Have fun out there!